A philosophy statement should relate the school’s most essential beliefs as to how students best learn and how teachers most effectively teach. Philosophy sets our direction in every aspect of education.
Hisar School education philosophy has been strongly influenced by the solid theories of Dewey, Piaget, Sizer, Socrates, and Ataturk, but tempered by our own years of experience and success, and can be best described in a number of belief statements as follows:
- Hisar School stands as a role model for the global community in a democratic and secular Turkish Republic, enlightened by the principles of Atatürk.
- Caring and encouraging are at the core of effective learning environments. To succeed with students today, we must establish positive relationships through understanding, empathy and compassion.
- A positive school climate will favor effective learning. Accordingly, we must believe in our students and in their potential to learn and become productive young citizens. Belief in our students is critical to their intellectual and social growth.
- Students learn best when actively engaged in the construction of their own learning. The student who is the active participant in his educational program, - the writer, producer, presenter, or actor, will acquire and retain deeper learning.
- Social responsibility is a necessary element of education. Our students must understand their role and responsibilities with regard to social change and reform, at school, at home and globally. Learning tolerance and consideration of others is essential.
- Social Reform and Democracy, as presented in the principles of Ataturk, are critically important in education.
- The realization of one’s full potential, toward the greater good, is a necessary concern of education.
The conditions we are in require that education be planned and carried out with a multi-channel approach. In this context; within the framework of the mission and principles of our school, priority has been given to approaches that allow a flexible and communicative structure that can be adapted to all kinds of changes and difficult conditions without compromising scientific approaches.
As Hisar School, it is our most important priority to present our strong academic program in every platform and condition. Within our understanding of education, the student is at the center of learning. The role of the teacher is defined as guiding the learning of the student, not as a source of information. While our academic programs are planned with Understanding by Design (UbD), technology is a natural part of our education process.
With our academic programs prepared with this approach, our aim is to provide our students with the skills required by the age we are in, know how to interpret information and think critically, molded with 21st century talents, creative, full of self-confidence; At the same time, it has been determined as raising world citizens with a sound scientific, social and intellectual background.